I’m professor of cultural history at the University of Turku and Academy Professor 2017–2021. My research interests focus on digital history and digital humanities, the cultural history of the nineteenth century (especially music history), history of film and the media, history of technology, and the history of emotions and the senses. I am also member of The Romantic Era Research Group (RERG).
My projects include:
- Viral Culture in Early Nineteenth-Century Europe (2017–2021)
- Oceanic Exchanges: Tracing Global Information Networks In Historical Newspaper Repositories, 1840–1914 (2017–2019)
- Computational History and the Transformation of Public Discourse in Finland, 1640–1910 (2016–2019)
- Travelling Notions of Culture: Itineraries of Bildung and Civilisation in Early Nineteenth-Century Europe (2012–2016)
- Cinematic Cartographies of European History, 1945-2000 (2009–2013)