I am professor of cultural history at the University of Turku and Academy Professor 2017–2021. My research interests focus on digital history and digital humanities, the cultural history of the nineteenth century (especially music history), history of film and the media, history of technology, and the history of emotions and the senses. I am also the founding member of the Turku Group for Digital History and The Romantic Era Research Group (RERG).
My current projects include:
- Informationsflöden över Östersjön: Svenskspråkig press som kulturförmedlare 1771–1918 (2020–2023)
- Movie Making Finland: Finnish fiction films as audiovisual big data, 1907–2017 (2020–2022)
- Viral Culture in Early Nineteenth-Century Europe (2017–2021)
- Oceanic Exchanges: Tracing Global Information Networks In Historical Newspaper Repositories, 1840–1914 (2017–2019)
- Computational History and the Transformation of Public Discourse in Finland, 1640–1910 (2016–2019)